Is it safe to use bleach to sanitize sippy cups and straws?
You CAN safely use a bleach solution to sanitize sippy cups! To make the bleach solution, add 1 Tablespoon Clorox® Regular Bleach2 to 1 gallon of water. To sanitize the sippy cups, disassemble all the different parts (mouthpiece, lid,straws, etc) and wash them with detergent and water first, and then let them soak in the bleach solution for two minutes. You may need to spin them around to make sure all surfaces contact the bleach solution for the full two minutes. When finished, you don’t need to rinse them, but they do need to air dry completely. This may be a little tricky for the straws, but if you prop them upright to make draining easier, that should help them drain and air dry.
I also want to clarify that we are in the process of concentrating our sodium hypochlorite based bleach products, so if you live in a part of the U.S. that has already converted over to the new Concentrated Clorox® Regular Bleach2 product, use 2 teaspoons bleach per gallon of water. The procedure and contact time are otherwise the same. Also, I am not sure if you are aware of this, but I wanted to note that you should only use the regular version of our bleach; the fragranced versions are not registered with the EPA and are not appropriate for sanitizing uses.