Bathrooms are the perfect environment for mold to grow: warm, moist and often with poor air circulation when there’s no fan. A mold problem can get really bad on grout, especially in a shower with a tiled floor. Fortunately, because Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, it is highly effective at killing mold and cleaning mold stained tile.
Mix up a bleach and water solution and apply it to the stained grout and non-porous tile for the recommended amount of time to keep your grout clean and free of mold.
Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach should always be diluted with water before use. It is safe for use on typical hard, nonporous surfaces in showers and bathrooms like glazed ceramic tile, vinyl, stainless steel, fiberglass and sealed grout. To protect surfaces, always follow instructions and don’t use a stronger dilution or longer contact time than recommended.1
Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach with CLOROMAX®
Prep the area
Remove any personal care products, floor mats and shower curtains and set or move them aside.Tip
Open a window to allow good air circulation.
Mix the bleach solution
Use the measuring cup to add 1 gallon of water to the bucket, then add 1/3 cup Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach. Wear protective gloves and clothing you don’t mind accidentally splashing with bleach solution.
Never use bleach at full strength on any surface. It should always be diluted with water first.
Brush the solution into the tile
Use the brush to apply the bleach solution to the grout and tile. Reapply the solution as needed to keep surfaces wet for 10 minutes, scrubbing if needed with the nylon brush to remove heavy mold stains.Tip
Use a long-handled nylon brush to avoid kneeling while scrubbing.
Rinse with water and air dry
Use the showerhead to rinse the tile floor completely, then allow surfaces to air dry. Once the floor is dry, replace the items that were removed prior to cleaning.
Frequently asked questions
- Can cleaning with bleach stop mold from growing back?
The patented formula in our bleach includes a polyelectrolyte complex that protects surfaces and inhibits the growth of mold or mildew. That’s why regular cleaning with Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach gives surfaces a protective finish that locks out future stains.
Bleach should be stored away from direct sunlight in a cool, dry place. When stored as directed, a bottle of bleach has a one-year shelf-life. This applies to both unopened and opened bottles.