Mosquito bites can be more than just irritating; in some cases they can actually spread disease. One of the easiest ways to help prevent mosquito bites is to prevent mosquito breeding areas. Mosquitoes breed in standing water so it’s important to empty these areas around your home. In addition, because mosquito larvae feed on bacteria and other matter, cleaning the empty containers with bleach it is also important step.
Here are some simple steps you can take to help prevent mosquitoes in your outdoor areas:
- Discard all unnecessary containers where water may accumulate after a rainfall.
- For all other containers, remove any standing water and disinfect using a bleach and water solution made with 1/3 cup Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach per gallon of clean water: soak containers for 6 minutes in the bleach and water solution, then rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry.
- Turn over all portable containers that are outdoors when not in use.
- Eliminate any water puddles.
- Change the water in small containers and flower vases every three days.
- Regularly unclog rain gutters.