Bleach Do’s and Don’ts
Whether it’s your first time using bleach, or you’re reaching for that jug you usually reserve for the laundry, it’s important to know that bleach is an incredibly powerful and effective disinfectant. It must to be used properly according to the instructions on the label.
See below for a few important do’s and don’ts if you’re making a bleach solution to clean and disinfect at home:
- DON’T use full strength bleach from the bottle for cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. Always dilute in accordance with label instructions.
- DON’T mix bleach with other cleaning products, especially those with ammonia or vinegar, as some chemicals don’t mix well together and can cause a chemical reaction.
- DON’T use more bleach than the dilution instructions recommend for disinfecting.
- DON’T forget to wear gloves for prolonged use when cleaning with a bleach solution.
- DON’T store or use bleach within reach of children.
- DO use bleach as directed on high-touch surfaces throughout the home such as refrigerator handles, kitchen and bathroom counters, toilet seats, and toilet handles.
- DO make a fresh bleach and water solution each day you use it.
- DO use bleach in a well-ventilated area, such as a room with an open window.
- DO read the label to make sure it is an EPA-registered disinfecting bleach. Some varieties aren’t strong enough to kill viruses.
- DO rinse food contact surfaces with potable water after cleaning with bleach.
- DO wash skin with water immediately if full strength bleach gets on your skin.