How to Use Bleach
Dr. Laundry’s DO This So You Won’t be Sorry Tips:
Whenever you are using a laundry product for the first time and you have some anxiety/concerns about whether it’s OK to proceed, try the following list to help ease your mind.
- ALWAYS read the garment/fabric label. It contains useful information like recommended washing, drying and handling directions. Unfortunately, many manufacturers add “Do Not Bleach or Non-chlorine bleach only” even when one can safely use bleach. So you may want to test it on your own.
- Unsure if a product is safe to use? Do a PRETEST. Most products have a simple test to confirm it is acceptable to use. For sodium hypochlorite, I always recommend the Bleachability Test.
- If PRETEST is successful, follow product label instructions for further peace of mind.
- Be careful when pouring or leaving bleach on surfaces. When these contact the clothes your wearing, it can leave “bleach spots” or worse, little holes. Unfortunately you don’t notice either until much later.
- Check for success at the end of the wash cycle. Make sure you solved your problem before tossing items into the dryer. If at first you don’t succeed, either repeat the procedure or consider another approach.