Guest Blogger: Robert Verdi
I’ve met all sorts of doctors in my life, but never have I met a doctor who practices laundry! Now that is marriage material.
So, it was a no brainer for me when I was asked to speak to magazine editors about the new Clorox Ultimate Care Premium Bleach in New York City a few months ago. It was here that I had the distinct honor of meeting Harold Baker, a.k.a. Dr. Laundry. Ok, I have to tell you, I was totally impressed, since I’ve always been, and always will be, a true fan of bleach. For those of you who don’t know, some very important personal facts:
- I’m a clothes enthusiast, as in… I love clothes, I love shopping, I love dressing up, I love washing my clothes, I love folding my clothes, I love seeing other people’s clothes, I love the designers who design clothes — You get it now, Right?
- I look really good in clothes (some people look better naked; I’m not one of them).
- I grew up in suburban NJ as a first generation American surrounded by women who were skilled dressmakers and homemakers and I learned every trick I could from them. For example, regarding my neurotic laundry behavior — I have been known to let the washing machine fill up with water, add my detergent, add my bleach (stir it in with a wooden spoon… don’t ask) and let the cycle run. Then, when the wash and rinse cycle was complete, I would rerun the rinse cycle and squeeze the juice from a fresh lemon into the washing machine. How does the old saying go… When g-d gives you lemons, do your laundry. It’s something like that – right? I like my whites to be very bright and very fresh.
This seemingly crazy ritual is a by product of my passion for fresh, clean bright white garments (there is no place in this world for dingy whites). So, Dr. Laundry asked me to be a guest on his blog.
Now, for all you die hard bleachers or those who are aspiring users, here are a few tips…
White is Wearable, Wonderful and – Even Better – Totally Washable! Make it a personal goal to take care of your favorite white shirts and jeans, that perfect white t-shirt, your best white sheets or those luxurious, fluffy white towels. Let’s face it, until this moment, you didn’t even know how many whites there were in your closet that you love and want to take care of. Those favorite comfortable things are irreplaceable.
Say goodbye to the little black dress – white is the color to see and be seen in! Trust me, it’s not just for the skinny and the tan. And, stop listening to your mother when she tells you it can only be worn between Memorial and Labor Day. White is for everyday and can, and should, be worn by anyone and everyone from California to Maine and everywhere in between (yes, even in Kansas). When thinking about your next white purchase – whether it’s a classic white t-shirt or the romantic blouse of the moment – abide by these easy tips and I guarantee you’ll be looking and feeling fabulous in no time!
- Keep whites glowing and sparkling – Dingy, dirty or stained whites will leave you anything but fashionable. Don’t be afraid to use bleach where needed. Check out the new Clorox® Ultimate Care Bleach. Glowing whites are always in style.
- White is the new black – when purchasing two of a favorite garment, think about brightening up your closet. Instead of buying it in your most loved color and black, resist the urge to go to the dark side and make your wardrobe pop with white. This is what I do for all my clients, including my little doll, Eva Longoria, and she loves it!
- White is here to stay – So give in and go paint the town white!