How to Get Rid of Mold
Q. I have mold on my ceilings and walls. How do I dilute Clorox® Regular-Bleach1 to spray on it and kill it?
A. Clorox has several ways for you to do this. Clorox® Regular-Bleach1 can be made into an effective solution and applied directly to the problem area. Or, potentially more convenient would be our Tilex® Mold & Mildew Remover (which has the same sodium hypochlorite active ingredient as Clorox® Regular-Bleach1, and can be sprayed on the mold/mildew and then rinsed away after the appropriate contact time).
See below the instructions from our EPA Master Label for mold/mildew removal using Clorox® Regular-Bleach1.
- Make a solution of 3/4 cup Clorox® Regular-Bleach1 per gallon of warm water (2700 ppm available chlorine solution) — best practices are to always pre-clean the surfaces of any visible material.
- Mix the bleach solution using your gloved hands and apply to the affected area with a sponge or brush.
- Allow it to sit in contact with the mildew for 5 minutes, then rinse with warm water. Allow to air dry.
You may need another application if the problem is severe. I would be hesitant to use a garden tank sprayer or regular spray bottle, especially if it has metal parts in the trigger assembly. They will react with the bleach, decreasing its efficacy and potentially corroding the metal.
Also open some windows and ventilate the area where you are working as this will promote drying and evacuate any bothersome fumes.
Since there is a very good chance that the bleach solution will drip onto you, make sure the clothes you wear for this are ones that you do not treasure; they probably will have some bleached-out spots, and should be washed right after you finish.