Cleaning & laundry tips
- Healthy Home
Flu Prevention Tips
There are several steps you can take to help prevent catching the flu and reduce the spread of viruses that cause it. It’s easier than you think, read below for tips and advice.
What To Do
- Get vaccinated. Vaccination is the first step to flu prevention. In general, all healthy people should get vaccinated. The CDC now recommends that, in addition to other high risk groups, all healthy children get a flu vaccination. Find a local vaccination center here.
- Wash your hands. Cold and flu viruses may be spread by indirect contact. Maybe someone sneezes onto their hand and then touches a doorknob, only to have the virus picked up by the next person who also touches it. Washing your hands is the best way to prevent getting sick.
- Do the elbow cough. Since viruses cling to your bare hands, you can reduce the spread of viruses by perfecting the art of the elbow cough. When you cough, simply cover your face with your entire elbow. It’s also an easy technique to teach kids.
- Disinfect common surfaces. Viruses that cause colds and flu can survive on common surfaces for up to 72 hours. Don’t forget to use Clorox® disinfecting products on phone receivers, doorknobs, light switches, and remote controls.
- Drink Water*. Water can help strengthen your immune system, keeping the flu at bay. And if you do get sick, water flushes your system, rehydrates you and washes out the toxins. An adult should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluids each day. If the color of your urine is close to clear, then you are getting enough. If it’s deep yellow, drink more water.
Looking for Tips?
- 5 Germiest Hot Spots in Your Home
- 5 Things to Donate to a Classroom
- 5 Things to Have Ready at Home for School
- 5 fun ideas for keeping kids clean
- 5-Day Planning Guide for Back-to-School
- Catching Germs at School
- Disinfect & Protect
- Don’t Take the Flu Back to School
- Don’t Take the Flu Back to Work
- Flu Facts
- Flu Prevention Tips
- Germ Games for Kids
- Practice good health habits
- Vaccine Q&A
Sign up now to help #StopTheSpread of cold & flu at home!
New Clorox® myStain™ App
A library of how-to tips and tricks for life's medley of mess.Show More