Cleaning & laundry tips
- Healthy Home
Facts About the Flu
Did you know you could spread the flu virus a day before you develop symptoms? Get more flu info with this list compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and make sure to see our Vaccine Q & A for more information on the benefits of getting vaccinated this flu season.
- Flu is responsible for approximately 22 million missed school days each year.
- Five to twenty percent of Americans get the flu every year, causing around 200,000 hospitalizations.
- The flu virus can survive up to 72 hours on surfaces like doorknobs and desks. (As a preventative measure, Clorox recommends using Clorox® disinfecting products to help kill 99.9% of the flu virus* found throughout your house.)
- Adults can spread the flu virus up to a day before developing symptoms and 3 to 7 days after symptoms start. Children can pass on the virus even longer.
- Antibiotics are only designed to kill bacteria, so they can’t cure the flu virus. The best medicine is plenty of rest and a lot of liquids. And if your illness gets worse, be sure to see your doctor.
- A recent study found a strain of the flu virus was present on 60% of common household items in homes with just one sick kid. Clorox® disinfecting products are designed to kill the cold and flu viruses* that many cleaners cannot.
Source: paraphrased from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, www.cdc.gov
*Use as directed on hard, nonporous surfaces. See labels for organisms.
Looking for Tips?
- 5 Germiest Hot Spots in Your Home
- 5 Things to Donate to a Classroom
- 5 Things to Have Ready at Home for School
- 5 fun ideas for keeping kids clean
- 5-Day Planning Guide for Back-to-School
- Catching Germs at School
- Disinfect & Protect
- Flu Facts
- Flu Prevention Tips
- Germ Games for Kids
- Practice good health habits
- Vaccine Q&A
Sign up now to help #StopTheSpread of cold & flu at home!
New Clorox® myStain™ App
A library of how-to tips and tricks for life's medley of mess.Show More