Cleaning & laundry tips
- Healthy Home
Directions for Disinfection of Water
Water disinfection is important if authorities haven’t confirmed it is safe to drink, clean with, or bathe in after an emergency, such as a hurricane or flood. During and after a disaster, water can become contaminated with microorganisms (for example, bacteria), sewage, agricultural or industrial waste, chemicals, and other substances that can cause illness1.
Depending on the situation, it’s not always practical in an emergency situation to boil water for 1 minute to make it safe to drink. Here are some things to remember when using Clorox® Regular-Bleach2 with CLOROMAX™ or Clorox® Germicidal Bleach1 for water disinfection:
- Prior to addition of the bleach, it’s important to remove all suspended material from collected water by letting it settle to the bottom or by filtration. This means that after you collect some water that hasn’t been treated, you need to let it sit long enough to let any debris settle to the bottom of the container.
- Next, decant the clarified contaminated water into a clean container, then add the bleach. Use the following table to determine how much bleach to add — it depends on how much water you are treating.
- Allow the treated water to stand for 30 minutes. Properly treated water should have a slight chlorine odor.
- If there’s no chlorine odor, then you need to repeat the treatment. Just add the same amount of bleach, and wait for another 15 minutes. Check again for the chlorine odor before drinking the water.
- If bleach taste is too strong, pour cleaned water between clean containers several times and let it stand for a few hours before use.
Clorox® Regular-Bleach2 with CLOROMAX™
Looking for Tips?
Sign up now to help #StopTheSpread of cold & flu at home!
New Clorox® myStain™ App
A library of how-to tips and tricks for life's medley of mess.Show More